The Winter 2019 Issue of FORUM is now available. Log in to your FGS account to access the magazine. Here’s a look at what is inside.
- More than just obituaries, Newspaper research help discover so much more about your ancestors. In “Starting Your Newspaper Research,” Gena Philibert-Ortega explains the methodologies involved in where and how to begin looking.
- Have Quakers in your tree? In “Researching the ‘Friends’ in Your Family,” Annette Burke Lyttle shows how to locate and research in the records created by this religious group.
- Did you hear the news? “FGS to Merge with NGS” by Ben Spratling, JD, and Faye Stallings, CG, answers your questions about the upcoming merger and what it means to the genealogy community.
- Jacqi Stevens and Sheri Fenley share their experiences putting together a certificate program for their society. In “Honoring Pioneer Ancestors: Create a First Families Project for Your Society,” they give advice on how to successfully start your own.
Also, in this issue:
- “FGS 2020: “The Heart of America” by Sherri Camp
- Spotlight on Member Projects: “Special Projects, Education & More” by Cari A. Taplin, CG
- Ethics & Standards: “More Than Chicken Tracks” by Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL
- Next Generation: “Knowing Your Worth: When Should You Get Paid for Genealogy Services?” by Shannon Combs-Bennett, MSc, QG, PLCGS
- Records Preservation & Access: “Newspapers, Maps & More” by Linda McCleary, MLS
- Before You Go . . .
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
How to access FORUM
FGS Member Society Leadership: The main contact, delegate, and other board members for FGS member societies and family associations can access the magazine by logging into their account at fgs.org. After logging in, click on “Access FORUM Subscription” or “Access Members Only Benefits > FORUM Archives” to access the magazine. If you are the FGS delegate or a board member for a member organization and have not received a login, please contact the person in your organization who manages the FGS account. If you don’t know who that person is, contact email@example.com.
FGS Associate Organizations: The main contact for FGS associate organizations can access the magazine by logging into their account at fgs.org. After logging in, click on “Access FORUM Subscription” or “Access Members Only Benefits > FORUM Archives” to access the magazine.
FGS FORUM subscribers: Subscribers can access the magazine by logging into their account fgs.org. After logging in, click “Access FORUM Subscription” to access the magazine.
Who can subscribe to FORUM? Anyone. You don’t have to be a member of a genealogical society to subscribe to FORUM.
Please note that if you are currently the FGS delegate for or serving on the board of an FGS member society or family association, you have access to the magazine through the organization’s FGS membership and do not need a subscription.
Genealogical Society Leaders: If your society is not a member of the Federation of Genealogical Societies, become one today and let your society’s leadership begin accessing FORUM and its 25+ year archives, which is just one of the many benefits of FGS membership.