Mission and Projects
The Federation of Genealogical Societies works to preserve resource materials of genealogical and historical significance. FGS provides national leadership by marshaling resources for the following projects:
- Preserve the Pensions: A project to digitize the War of 1812 pension records. You can help this valuable project by making a donation.
- Malcolm H. Stern-NARA Gift Fund: The Stern-NARA Gift Fund makes possible the creation of finding aids and the microfilming of valuable research materials now preserved in the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Washington, D.C.
- Records Preservation and Access Committee: The committee works with agencies throughout the country to establish a system by which records at risk can be identified and recommend steps to preserve them in the most permanent and economical method possible.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (CWSS): In 1999, FGS and GSU, with support from the National Park Service, the National Archives, and the Civil War Trust (among other groups), completed the data entry of more than five million names.
- World Archives Project: FGS has partnered with Ancestry.com in a record preservation initiative that will make more records available to researchers around the world.